Prerequisite Clearance & Evaluation Services are Available ONLINE
The Transcript Evaluation Office will continue to provide all services online after the campus reopens. Should you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prerequisite Instructions and Forms
Requests are accepted up to these prerequisite deadlines. However, we recommend you submit your request at least fifteen (15) days prior to your registration date.
Step 1. Gather Your Support Documents
Ways to satisfy a prerequisite requirement include:
1) Equivalent/substitute couresework from another institution
2) Advanced Placement scores
3) Grounds other than coursework (see below for details)
- If you are using equivalent/substitute coursework from another institution:
- Acceptable coursework includes:
- Completed high school courses (ex: chemistry, physics, foreign language courses) with a grade of C-, Pass or Credit where Pass/Credit = C- or above.
- Completed college/university courses from regionally accredited institutions with a grade of C, Pass or Credit where Pass/Credit = C/2.0 or above.
- Follow the instructions on Incoming Transcripts to submit your transcripts to SBCC Admissions & Records and verify your transcripts have been received. Transcripts sent anywhere other than directly from your prior institution to Admissions & Records are considered unofficial.
- 6/26 Instructions Update: To avoid significant delays in the processing of your prerequisite request you need
to do the following:
- Submit your OFFICIAL transcripts to Admissions & Records using the instructions above. We will verify your official transcripts once they are available. Your prerequisite clearance may be revoked and you may be dropped from the course if you do not submit your official transcripts or if they do not match your unofficial transcripts.
- We will make a TEMPORARY decision based on your unofficial transcripts if you attach the following to your prerequisite form (both are required):
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts.
- Proof that your official transcripts were sent from your institution to Admissions & Records (ex: an email confirmation).
- HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELORS/ADMINISTRATORS: Please submit transcripts directly to A&R. Transcripts sent to the Transcript Evaluation Office will be considered official on a case-by-case basis, but if you send them to us instead of A&R it may delay the student's prerequisite clearance request.
- Acceptable coursework includes:
- If you are using AP scores:
- If you are using grounds other than coursework or AP scores (such as work experience, fluency in a language, licenses or certificates, etc.),
or as directed by SBCC staff:
- Prepare a written statement with reasoning supporting the basis for your pre/co-requisite request. You will attach this to your request.
- If you are using a license, certification, etc. as justification for your request you must attach a copy of the document(s).
Step 2. Submit Your Form Online
DUAL ENROLLMENT STUDENTS: Do not fill out this form. Go to the Dual Enrollment "Classes Requiring Placement or Prerequisites" webpage for instructions.
NURSING PROGRAM APPLICANTS: Do not fill out this form. Go to the Nursing "Application Requirements" webpage for instructions.
IMPORTANT: You must be logged into your Pipeline email to access this form. If that doesn't work, log out of your Pipeline email and log into a personal Google account and try again.
Contact us if you are enrolled but are still unable to access the form using either your Pipeline email or a personal Gmail address.
Need help to submitting the form? Click here for instructions
IMPORTANT: Incomplete forms or forms missing support documents will not be processed.
Processing Your Form
Requests are generally processed within ten (10) business days of receipt of your completed form and all required documentation. This time frame excludes weekends, holidays, and campus closures and is subject to change without notification.
- Notifications and decisions are emailed to students at their SBCC Pipeline account.
- Students are not permitted to enroll in courses that require prerequisites or corequisites until their request is approved.
- An approved petition does not guarantee space in any course.
- An add code from an instructor does not override a prerequisite clearance request.
Need Help? If you are having trouble submitting the online form, contact us at email@example.com.
See Deadlines & Processing Information for additional information.
- Deadlines & Processing Information
- Prerequisite Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Prerequisite Homepage