header image

Types of Aid

  • The SBCC Financial Aid Office offers scholarships to high school seniors and current SBCC students. Scholarships are awarded on academic achievement, community involvement or extra curricular activities and/or financial need. Gifts and endowments from private individuals, corporations, community organizations, and other foundations fund scholarships. 

    Private scholarships are from a variety of organizations that provide scholarship opportunities to students. Find more information on our scholarship page. Please contact the scholarship coordinator, Ivena Sakelarieva, via email at igsakelariev@pipeline.sbcc.edu for more information.

  • The CCPG waives enrollment fees to qualifying students who are California residents. To qualify, you must meet the following income requirements or other eligibility criteria outlined on the application. Applications are available in English and Spanish. Submit your completed application to the Financial Aid Office.



    Family Size

    Year 2017 Income











    Each Additional Member


  • If a student is offered FWS as part of his/her financial aid package, you are encouraged to visit the Job Connection through the SBCC Schall Career Center to find a part-time job on or off campus. Students are encouraged to find work related to his/her studies or career plans.  A student can work up to 19.5 hours per week and can earn up to $3,000 per semester. A student will generally earn between $12.00 and $18.27 per hour and are paid once per month.

  • Pell Grants are awarded solely on demonstrated financial need to every eligible undergraduate student who hasn't already earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Pell Grants do not need to be repaid. They can be used for tuition, fees, and living expenses. A student can even receive a Pell Grant if he/she is attending college less than half time.  It is important that students receiving Federal Pell Grants understand how they are disbursed and how a student remains eligible for this program. 

  • The SBCC Financial Aid Office awards the FSEOG to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need, with priority given to Pell Grant recipients. Unlike Pell Grants, there's no guarantee every eligible student will receive one. In addition, funds are limited. These grants don't need to be paid back.  It is important that students receiving FSEOG understand how they are disbursed and how a student remains eligible for this program.

  • Cal Grants are awarded on demonstrated financial need and academic achievement to undergraduate students who haven't already earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Cal Grants don't need to be repaid. Contact the California Student Aid Commission at 888-224-7268 or visit their website for more information regarding deadlines and availability of funds. AB540 students are eligilbe to receive Cal Grants.

    • If you receive a Cal Grant A but decide to attend a California Community College, your award will be held in reserve for up to three years until you transfer to a four-year college. Be sure to inform the California Student Aid Commission of any address changes during this time. When you’re ready to transfer, be sure to notify the Commission so that your Cal Grant eligibility can be re-evaluated. Also, let your new college know that you have a Cal Grant A Reserve Grant.
    • If you receive a Cal Grant B, you can use your $1,672 living allowance to help pay for books and educational costs while attending a community college. (If you do, keep in mind that you’ll be using up Cal Grant eligibility that you may want to save if you’re planning to transfer to a four-year college.)
    • If you’re pursuing a career or technical education, you can use a Cal Grant C award to pay for books and supplies,


    If you didn’t receive a Cal Grant for study at a community college, you may qualify for a Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award to attend a four-year college.

  • The SSCG is a financial aid program that helps you afford full-time enrollment so you can grduate, begin your career and start earning money sooner.  AB540 students are eligilbe for SSCG.

    • 12-14 Units / semester = $649 ($1,298 per year)
    • 15+ Units / semester = $2,000 ($4,000 per year)


    You are eligible for the SSCG if you are a full time student and a recipient of a Cal Grant B or C award.

  • The SBCC California College Promise (AB19) program assists eligible first-time California residents based on full-time enrollment in a degree or certificate program.  Dreamers are eligible for this AB19 grant.  Awards range from $250 to $5,000 and are meant to supplement other financial aid awards such as the CCPG, the SBCC Promise and the Federal Pell Grant to encourage students to remain full time and work toward meeting their educational goal. Students must have either a FAFSA or a California Dream Act Application on file with SBCC in order to qualify. Funds are limited and awarded to SBCC’s neediest students.

  • There are two types of Federal Direct Loans:

    • Subsidized, which the government pays the interest while the student is in college. 
    • Unsubsidized, which the student is responsible for paying all the interest on the loan for the life of the loan (even while you are in school). 


    For Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans where the first disbursement is on July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2020, the fixed interest rate is 4.53%. (Subject to change without notice). A student can receive both types of loans at the same time.  After graduating, leaving school, or enrolling less than half time, a student will have a six month "grace period" before the first loan payment is due. All student loans must be paid back with interest. Typically a student will have 10 years to repay the loan unless they select alternate repayment options.

    For detailed information on subsidized and unsubsidized loans go to Loans for students 

  • Under the PLUS Loan program, a student's parents (or stepparents) may borrow up to the total cost of a student's education, minus any other aid or resources that the student receives. PLUS loans are not based on a student's family's income or assets and are only for undergraduate study.

    The current interest rate is fixed at 7.08%. Interest is charged from the date loan funds are first disbursed until the loan is paid in full. Generally repayment starts within 60 days of the loan's final disbursement for the school year.  The parent may apply for a deferment based on their student's half-time enrollment.  This will defer payments until six months after their student (on whose behalf the parent borrowed) ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.  PLUS loan deferments based on student enrollment must be applied for by the parent.