Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Federal and state regulations require students receiving federal financial aid and Cal Grants to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). There is a separate SAP policy for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG).
We encourage all students to read and be familiar with the complete Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy. These standards are stricter than those required to enroll at SBCC. In general, you must:
- Complete your program within 150% of the maximum time frame
- AS, AA or transfer programs within 90 units
- Certificate programs within 30 units
- Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Successfully complete 67% of all attempted units
After grades are posted at the end of each semester, students are notified of their financial aid SAP status via an email to their Pipeline account. Students not meeting these standards are not eligible for federal financial aid and Cal Grants.
A student may request to have their eligibility reinstated if there were circumstances beyond the student's control that prevented them from making academic progress.
Financial Aid Appeal Process - Step by Step
- Log into your Pipeline account
- Click on Student
- Click on "Financial Aid" link
- Click on "Special Messages"
- Select the "Aid Year" and click "Submit"
- Click on the "Special Messages" tab
Complete the Financial Aid Academic Progress Appeal form by the deadline noted below. You can only appeal for the current semester. It is not possible to be granted an appeal for a previous semester.
Fall 2019 Deadline: October 14 at 1 p.m.
Fall 2019 Deadline Cosmetology Students: November 22 at 1 p.m.
Spring 2020 Deadline: February 8 at 1 p.m.
Spring 2020 Deadline Cosmetology Students: March 13th at 1 p.m.
Submit packet to the Financial Aid Office
- In Person: Room SS210 (2nd floor Student Services Building)
- By Mail: 721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109
- By Fax: 805-564-1893
The Financial Aid Office will review your appeal and if approved, you will be notified via your Pipeline email account. If denied, an automatic second review of your appeal will be made by the Financial Aid SAP Appeals Committee for a final decision. You will be notified via your Pipeline email account if your appeal is approved or denied. The decision of the Appeals Committee is final and cannot be appealed further at the college.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Reference: 34 Code of Federal Regulations Section 668.34