header image

Federal Work Study (FWS)

A Federal Work Study (FWS) job lets you earn part of your college expenses. The purpose of the program is to promote part-time employment opportunities for students. If you are eligible, you will be notified on your financial aid award letter (available in your SBCC Pipeline account).  Please note that having a FWS award does not guarantee a FWS position. 

FWS students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 units and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week.

If you have any questions not answered below, please contact the Financial Aid Office in person (second floor of Student Services, Room SS210) or call (805) 730-5157.

  • You must complete and submit an FAFSA in order for the SBCC Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility for FWS. 

  • After completing your financial aid file, the Financial Aid Office will send you an email to inform you that you have been awarded. You view your awards online via your Pipeline account. If you are offered FWS as part of your package, and you are interested in employment, you must seek student employment through the Career Center.

  • FWS positions are available in a wide variety of on campus departments or through the off campus A-OK program.  There is an on line listing of current available job positions managed by the Career Center.

  • NO. The maximum number of hours per week you will be allowed to work while classes are in session is 19.5 or less, depending upon your FWS allocation.

  • You must submit a time card online by the scheduled due date. Your supervisor will approve your hours. Normally, work-study recipients can expect to be paid once per month.

  • You must:

    1. Be enrolled in 6 units 
    2. Complete required paperwork
    3. Obtain a Job Referral from the Financial Aid Office 


    When a supervisor offers you a position, you must:

    1. Obtain the appropriate signatures on the Job Referral
    2. Return Referral Form back to On Campus Student Employment Office - SS230 (Human Resources Office)
    3. Obtain and complete an employment packet.  
  • You must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and be in 6 units to continue to be eligible for FWS from semester to semester. Remember that your FWS is only valid for the academic year offered. Once your funds are earned, or the academic year is over, your FWS position will end.