Transfer Center

Back to SBCC

Academic Planning

There are three things to keep in mind as you plan: meeting minimum requirements, preparing for your major and general education courses. 
Note: Universities can and do change their admission/selection requirements so make sure you meet with a counselor at least once a semester to review and update your Student Education Plan (SEP).
Minimum Requirements
Start with math and English courses. Your assessment results determine the level where you will begin.  Whatever you test into, make sure you're working toward passing UC/CSU-transferable math and English courses. Check ASSIST to see what math or English classes transfer to UC/CSU and aim for those that count toward meeting minimum eligibility requirements. You can also review SBCC's First-Year Course Recommendations for more information.
Both UC and CSU have online Transfer Academic Planners that allow you to enter your coursework, track your progress and plan upcoming terms. Note: UC's Transfer Admission Planner also serves as your application for Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAG).
UC Transfer Admission Planner
CSU Transfer Planner

Major Preparation Requirements
Once you have an idea of what you want to major in, get to know the coursework for that major at the universities you’re interested in. Look up your major in the course catalog of the universities you plan to apply to — this can help give you a sense of the major’s focus. Your major may have preparation requirements. These courses are often prerequisites for other courses that are required as part of the major.
Start with required courses for your major: Majors at some campuses will require you to complete specific courses before you transfer.
Take recommended courses for your major: Completing these courses before transfer makes you a more competitive applicant—and will help you graduate on time after you transfer.
UC Preparation for the Major Courses

CSU Preparation for the Major Courses

California Private Universities

Out-of-State Universities


General Education/Breadth Requirements
General education or breadth requirements are designed to give undergraduates a broad background in various academic disciplines — natural sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, mathematics, humanities, and visual and performing arts. The general education/breadth requirements specify the courses students must take or credit hours they must accumulate in each area.
Each university has its own set of requirements, described in the campus General Catalogs and articulation agreements. With careful planning, a student can meet many of the requirements while attending community college. At some campuses and in some majors, transfer students must fulfill all or a portion of the general education/breadth requirements before transferring.

General Education Options -

Gain a better understanding of your General Education options by reviewing the Which GE is for ME?


CSU General Education Breadth

California Private Universities that accept IGETC and/or CSU GE

California Private Universities General Education

Out-of-State Universities General Education

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College