Sustainable Transportation Resources
SBCC Commute is a program supporting the colleges' Transportation Demand Management Plan (TDMP) and the Districts Sustainability Plan. SBCC is commited to the betterment of health and sustainability in our community.
Since 2014, the SBCC Commute program has reduced Single Occupied Vehicle (SOV) use by 13%, expanded infrastructure, added a DIY bike shop, and increased the number of stakeholders that commute sustainably. SBCC Commute provides regular updates of goals and accomplishments during New Employee Orientation, Vacquero Welcome, and campus inservice days.
Sustainable Modes of Transportation Include: Carpool/Vanpool, Scooter/Motorcycle, Bicycle, Skate, Walk, Transit or Other Ridesharing (Lyft, Taxi not included)
Need to fix your bike? No problem!
SBCC's Do It Yourself "DIY" Bike Shop allows you to fix your bike in a pinch. This shop is in partnership with SBBike and BICI Centro.
Open M -Th 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.
HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Confirm you are part of the commuter program (Smartride.org reporting)
- Get Approved as a District Driver (Employees only). In order to operate a district vehicle you must be an approved district driver and an SBCC employee. Employees must register as a district driver to use any college vehicle. Please contact Administrative Services A120 to begin the approval process.. The process can take up to two weeks to become an approved driver. Please plan accordingly.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for car reservations
- CarShare (TWO ECars) Available for Employee personal use during the day. An electric
or hybrid vehicle can be reserved for 2 hrs at a time during 8am– 4pm Monday –Friday.
Overnight or extended use is permitted by the Vice President of Business Services.
- The hybrid Ford CMax #80 is on the West campus with key check out through Facilities & Operations Building.
- The electric Ford Focus #81 is on the East campus with key check out through Administrative Services A120.
- Ecars are not intended for regular use - email Facilities@sbcc.edu to reserve college vehilces for college business.
- Ecars are for employees who commute to campus and need the car for daytime use as part of their incentives for doing so.
Electric Bikes for Check Out
Electric bikes (Ebike) are available for Program participants who need to take short trips off campus. Electric bikes can be reserved for 2 hrs during 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday. If bikes are available, staff may check them out to ride home during the night and bring back daily to campus. If demand exceeds supply, we will use the lottery system or you may share. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
As of Fall 2018, there are 8 Ebikes available. All Ebike lottery members are required to store the bike inside over night, lock it when not in use, and use a helmet at all times.
- 5/week users have priority
- 3/week users have next priority
- 1-2/week users may be asked to rotate, share or return an ebike to participants who ride more
- Use of Ebikes are a priveledge not a right
- Replacements of lost or damaged ebikes will not be made
- We expect you cover and/or secure the Ebikes at all times when not in use (do not use bike racks on campus). Use Campus Bike Sheds,
- Office or Bike Lockers storage on campus, and secured at home.
HOW TO RESERVE AN EBIKE:
- Complete the electric bike safety course (through SBCC Bike Shop located adjacent to East Campus Bridge).
- Contact SBBIKE Education Director <firstname.lastname@example.org> to schedule a safety course. Also let email@example.com know when you complete the course.
- Complete the SBCC electric bike share loan agreement form. Return the Waiver Form to Administrative Services (A120) or email the completed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request or reserve an electric bike, email email@example.com
- When steps 1 , 2, and 3 are complete, participants will be granted access (via key card) to electric bikes located in the East Campus Bridge Bike Shed. Each bike has a lock assigned to it.
- When returning electric bike please secure in Campus Bike Shop Bike shed and lock bike. Return keys to Bike Shop or A120.
HOW TO RESERVE A BIKE LOCKER:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for waiting list and assignment (staff only)
NEED TO SHOWER?
Shower facilities are located in the Physical Education building, email email@example.com if you would like access and you are signed up with smartride.org. You must be signed up for the current incentive program with smartride.org to get shower access and report your daily commuting.
Check out bike routes from downtown Santa Barbara to SBCC!
Location of skateboard racks at the Campus Bike Shop and the Library; bring your own lock!
Electric Vehicle Parking On Campus
Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations require a SBCC parking permit (see SBCC Transportation Map). Eelctric Vehicles are part of the colleges sustainability efforts and do not help reduce the problem we face with single occupied vehicle parking space on campus. We do however, believe it is important to support as many EVs as we can in balance of other parking demands.
SBCC has twelve (12) stations currently located on campus:
- (4) Lot 4C on the West Campus
- (4) Lot 4D on the West Campus
- (4) Lot 1B on the East Campus (above La Playa Stadium)
Check Charge Point. ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network with over 26,300 locations.Lot 1-B Staff only 7 a.m. - 11 p.m., Student 5:30 p.m. - 11 p.m.Lot 4-C Staff and Student 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.Lot 4-D Staff only 7 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., Staff/Student and public 10:30 a.m. - 11 p.m.