HIT/CIM Department Transfer Credit Policy
The following HIT courses will be considered for transfer credit IF they were completed (1) at a regionally-accredited institution AND (2) through a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program or an AHIMA-Approved Coding Program.
HIT101, HIT102, HIT200, HIT202, HIT203, HIT205, HIT210, HIT220, HIT 230, HIT 240, HIT255, and HIT265.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for HIT275, HIT280, HIT284 and HIT285.
The following CIM courses will only be considered for transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university program that is an NCRA-Accredited CIM Program:
CIM100, CIM125, CIM150, CIM202, CIM225, CIM250. Not only must the program be NCRA -accredited, the institution must also be regionally accredited.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for CIM275.
For department requirements other than those courses listed above, transfer credit will be considered from any regionally accredited college or university in the United States or from any international college or university deemed equivalent by an independent transcript evaluation service.
Coursework from Health IT Workforce Training programs is not accepted toward the Medical Coding, HIT, or CIM programs.
(The above policies are Department-approved as of January 2015)
Instructions to Request a Transcript Evaluation
For transcript evaluations toward major requirements and/or general education requirements, follow the steps below. NOTE: This service is ONLY for students in the HIT/CIM/Medical Coding programs. All other majors need to go through the Academic Counseling Center.
1. Order Official Transcripts from all colleges attended following these instructions.
2. You will receive an email to your pipeline email once SBCC has received your transcripts.
3. Email Gwyer Schuyler, Counselor, at email@example.com, with the subject line Transcript Evaluation Request. Include your student ID number, major and colleges attended. Also, include how many units you would like to take each Fall and Spring and whether you want to take Summer classes as well. Gwyer will email your evaluation results and a Student Educational Plan (SEP). **Consider our courseload guidelines in deciding how many units to take.
4. If you have healthcare-related licenses or credentials that you would like considered to waive requirements, reference the information here and email a copy of your license/credential to Gwyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your student ID in your email.
5. The evaluation results and educational planning information will be emailed to your SBCC Pipeline e-mail account. Prerequisite holds associated with HIT/CIM course work will be cleared based on evaluation results.
1. SBCC reserves the right to request further documents as needed to conduct an evaluation.
2. In some cases, evaluation of courses for subject and/or unit credit must be reviewed by the SBCC department offering a similar course.
3. For international transcript evaluation procedures, students must provide an official evaluation of student's transcripts completed by an independent transcript evaluation service. All NACES or AICE accredited agencies will be accepted. Click here and here for the lists of agencies.
Important Notes regarding international transcript evaluation reports:
1. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
2. You should request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/under division breakdown.
3. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.