Take the fast track to success!
The Express to Success Program (ESP) provides an opportunity for students to move through their required Math and English classes more quickly while participating in a supportive Learning Community (LC) environment. This award-winning program received the 2012 Chancellor's Award for Best Practices in Student Equity. More recently, the National Excelencia in Education organization recognized ESP as its 2014 Example of Excelencia for being the nation's top program for increasing Latino student success in the two-year colleges.
Our ESP LCs include accelerated math and English courses, with a choice of course options so that you can maintain full time status. In either case, the ESP LCs will help you complete your required math and English classes more quickly, while at the same time providing excellent preparation to help you reach your degree or transfer goals. In addition, ESP counselors work with each LC to provide important support services, and Gateway tutors are available to work with you both inside and outside of your LC classes.
Am I eligible for ESP?
If you are not sure if ESP is right for you here are few things to keep in mind:
- Must be in good academic standing
- Students may not withdraw from classes without instructor and counselor approval, once the semester starts
- ESP students are making a semester long commitment to their success and must sign
a program student success agreement
- Most ESP LC's are linked courses and cannot be taken separately:
- English 88 (Accelerated reading and writing)
- English 89 & 110
- Math 41
- Math 095 & 107
- Math 77/107
- Math 107 & 117
- Math 107 & 120
How do I sign up?
ESP has made it easier for you to register for our English and Math* Learning Communities. You will need to use the CRNs from the following pages to register:
*If you are signing up for our Math 095/107, 107/117 or 107/120 Learning Communities you must follow the steps below:
- Contact the ESP Office in-person, by calling 805-730-4274 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once we verify that you are eligible, our staff will email you with the CRN and ADD codes.
- Register for the class within 2 days from when you receive the CRNs and ADD codes or risk losing your place in your selected LC(s).
For more information on ESP, we invite you to watch this short video:
For a more in-depth look at ESP, please take a moment to view the longer version of the video:
HAVING TROUBLE REGISTERING FOR A MATH OR ENGLISH SECTION? CLICK ON THE VIDEO FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Click here for a transcript of this video.
Ismael Paredes Ulloa
ESP Support Staff
ESP Support Staff
Phone: (805) 730-4274
Fax: (805) 730-4278