Take the fast track to success!
The Express to Success Program (ESP) provides an opportunity for students to move through their required Math and English classes more quickly while participating in a supportive Learning Community (LC) environment. This award-winning program received the 2012 Chancellor's Award for Best Practices in Student Equity. More recently, the National Excelencia in Education organization recognized ESP as its 2014 Example of Excelencia for being the nation's top program for increasing Latino student success in the two-year colleges.
Our ESP LCs include accelerated math and English courses, with a choice of course options so that you can maintain full time status. In either case, the ESP LCs will help you complete your required math and English classes more quickly, while at the same time providing excellent preparation to help you reach your degree or transfer goals. In addition, ESP counselors work with each LC to provide important support services, and Gateway tutors are available to work with you both inside and outside of your LC classes.
Am I eligible for ESP?
If you are not sure if ESP is right for you here are few things to keep in mind:
- Must be in good academic standing
- Students may not withdraw from classes without instructor and counselor approval, once the semester starts
- ESP students are making a semester long commitment to their success and must sign
a program student success agreement
- Most ESP LC's are linked courses and cannot be taken separately:
- English 88 (Accelerated reading and writing)
- English 89 & 110
- Math 41
- Math 095 & 107
- Math 77/107
- Math 107 & 117
- Math 107 & 120
How do I sign up?
These are three steps to joining ESP:
- Fill out the intake form at Join ESP on or after your Fall 2018 registration date (check your pipeline)
- On the intake form, indicate which class (schedule and instructor) you wish to sign up for.
- Register for the class within 2 days from when you receive the CRNs and ADD codes.
If you are going to be graduating from a local high school:
Check with your high school academic counselor or career center for dates that SBCC will be on your campus for advising and registration workshops.
For more information on ESP, we invite you to watch this short video:
For a more in-depth look at ESP, please take a moment to view the longer version of the video:
HAVING TROUBLE REGISTERING FOR A MATH OR ENGLISH SECTION? CLICK ON THE VIDEO FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Click here for a transcript of this video.
ESP Staff Support
ESP Staff Support
Phone: (805) 730-4274
Fax: (805) 730-4278