Dual Enrollment FAQs

Who Can Participate in Dual Enrollment?

Santa Barbara City College allows eligible 9th – 12th grade students who are concurrently enrolled in a public or private high school program to enroll in most college courses in order to enrich their educational experience. The college does reserve the right to limit applications and class enrollments of students according to the policy of SBCC’s governing board, administrative direction, and departmental procedures.

How do I start?

High School students wishing to concurrently enroll at SBCC may submit the online application, making sure to select 'Dual Enrollment' as the Student Type. Download and print the Dual Enrollment Approval Form and submit the completed form to SBCC Admissions & Records. If you prefer, you may download and print both the Dual Enrollment Application and the Dual Enrollment Approval Form and submit both completed paper forms to SBCC.

For more information, please contact Jesus Vega (805) 965-0581 x 4759.

May eligible 9th-12th grade students enrolled in a home school program participate in Dual Enrollment?

Yes. Eligible 9th-12th grade home school students may enroll as a Dual Enrollment student providing that they attach a copy of their Private School Affidavit with their Dual Enrollment Application and Approval Form. Every person, firm, association, partnership or corporation offering or conducting a full-time day or boarding school at the elementary or high school level must file an Affidavit (California Education Code Section 33190). The online form required annually of private schools and links to related statutes, the Private School Directory, and Frequently Asked Questions about private schools is available at the California Department of Education website: http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/rq/

What if I am not eligible to enter 9th grade?

Students not eligible for the 9th grade who wish to attend SBCC during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters must submit a Special Student Petition to the Director of Admissions & Records for evaluation. All petition materials must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the semester the student wishes to attend. Late applications will not be considered. Non-eligible high school students may enroll into Music 132-133, Theater Arts 141-144, 175 without completing the Special Student Petition.

How many courses may I take?

Dual Enrollment students are permitted to enroll in a maximum of 9.0 college units during the Fall or Spring Semesters. Seniors may enroll in up to 12.0 units.

Are there any courses that I would be restricted from taking?

Students may enroll in most college level courses, provided they meet the necessary prerequisites. The following classes may not be taken by high school students: English 60, 65, 70 and 80; DSPS; Math 1, 4. Health 101 is open to students 17 years of age or older (Additional course restrictions may be included at the discretion of the college). All students planning to enroll in English or math classes must qualify on the basis of SBCC assessment tests.

The course that I am trying to register into indicates that I have a Prerequisite test error block. What does this mean?

When a course has a prerequisite requirement, it means that a student must possess a certain amount of pre-existing knowledge to be successful in the course. If the class you are registering in has a prerequisite requirement, go to www.sbcc.edu/prerequisite to download and complete the Prerequisite Verification Form. The prerequisite requirement must be cleared by the Transcript Evaluation Office prior to course registration. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Can I receive both college and high school credit?

Yes. The student will earn both high school and college credit. If the student wishes to receive high school credit for a college class, a 3.0 unit or more one-semester college class will earn one semester of high school credit (5.0 credits). A college course that is equivalent in content to a two-semester high school course will fulfill the subject requirement of the high school course. Academic college courses that meet the University of California ‘a-g’ requirements will be given a weighted grade point and ranking on the high school transcript at the discretion of the high school.

How much do the courses cost?

High school students are not required to pay SBCC enrollment fees ($26 per unit). However, students taking courses on the SBCC Campus are required to pay a $17 health fee and a $25 transportation fee. Other costs, such as materials and books, are to be paid by the student. IMPORTANT NOTE: If a student is enrolled only in online class(es), or classes on a high school campus, and does not come to SBCC for instruction, the transportation and health fees are waived. In addition, if a Senior exceeds 11.9 units they are assessed full tuition and will be responsible for paying all enrollment fees.

As a parent, do I have access to my son or daughter’s academic records?

Under Section 49061 of the Education Code, parents of community college students do not have a right of access to their children’s student records, regardless of whether the student is under the age of 18. In accordance with this regulation, students’ college records will be released to parents only with the written consent of the student. (Authorization for Release of Information form may be obtained at www.sbcc.edu/forms or from the Counseling Center)

As a parent, can I contact my son or daughter’s instructor regarding course content, assignments and/or grading policy?

Your student is enrolled in a college course and it is important to understand that instructors prefer to work directly with students, as opposed to the type of parent interventions you are accustomed to at the high school level. Under FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), instructors are not required to discuss student performance or other student-related issues with parents.

Since the community college environment addresses the learning needs of adults, there are some concerns to consider when enrolling in courses at SBCC such as: the possibility of controversial content of courses, the maturity level of minor students that enables them to learn the content and perform as equals to the adults in the classroom, and the ability for minors to perform out-of-class assignments that may require travel or admission to adult environments such as R-rated movies. Faculty establish syllabi for the course, which include the course content or objectives, assignments, a general guide to the pacing of the course, and information about how grades will be determined. Once a student receives the syllabi for the course from the instructor and the student decides to remain enrolled in the course, the syllabus becomes the contract between the student and teacher.

As a parent, can I request a grade progress report from my son or daughter’s instructor?

Under FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), instructors are not required to discuss student performance or other student-related issues with parents, including progress or grades.

Can Dual Enrollment students enroll in “online” courses?

Yes, Dual Enrollment students are permitted to enroll in online courses provided that they meet course prerequisites.

What if I want to add a class that was not indicated on my Approval Form?

Students will only be permitted to register for the course(s) that were indicated on the Dual Enrollment Approval form. If you would like to make a change or add a course that was not on the submitted form, you will need to complete a new Dual Enrollment Approval Form and acquire all of the required signatures. Be sure to indicate alternative course(s) on the form in the event that your first choice is closed.

I’m trying to register for my class, but there is an error message telling me “Major Restriction Block”?

If you are receiving this message, it typically means that you are trying to enroll in a course that was not approved on your Approval Form. Make sure that you are entering the right course. You may come to Admissions & Records to verify the courses that you were approved for or call (805) 965-0581 x7222 for assistance.

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College