About Our Program
The Chemistry Department offers courses for both Chemistry majors and non-Chemistry majors. An Associate in Arts Degree may be earned. In addition, the department offers chemistry courses required by other departments.
There is virtually no area of science that is unaffected by discoveries in the field of chemistry. The exploration of our solar system is made possible by the development of exotic fuels for rockets, special ceramics to dissipate the enormous heat generated by re-entry into the atmosphere, and light-weight, high-strength alloys for the space vehicles themselves. A coalition of chemists and biologists is attempting to correct defects in living organisms through genetic engineering, while other chemists work with doctors to create synthetic body parts and to alleviate suffering through the design of new or more effective drugs. Additionally, chemists are helping to increase the world’s food supply, to develop synthetic fuels, and to produce extremely pure chemicals for use in computers and energy-conversion devices.
Because chemistry touches so many areas of human activity, it is essential that each individual have some understanding of basic chemical principles. Only in this way can citizens make intelligent decisions concerning applications of technology.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in solving chemical mathematical problems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in describing atomic structure, bonding and periodic trends.
- Demonstrate proficiency in naming and writing chemical formulas.
- Demonstrate proficiency in writing balanced chemical equations and performing stoichiometric calculations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in predicting the outcome of chemical reactions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in assembling laboratory glassware and performing laboratory techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in making and recording experimental observations and interpreting the results.
Sally Ghizzoni, Chair (PS-210, ext. 5199)
Jennifer Evans, Lab Technician (PS-207, ext. 2254)
Tracy Reynolds, Lab Technician (PS-207, ext. 3054)
Jens-Uwe Kuhn, Dean
Faculty & Offices
- Eric Bullock, PS-212
- Juan Carrera-Espinoza, PS-216
- Jess Estrada, PS-217
- Sally Ghizzoni, PS-210
- Raeanne L. Napoleon, PS-206
Important Department Information